1/72 AIRFIX Bf109-G6

Just finished this one today

It’s the Airfix 1/72 kit from circa 2009 before they hit their stride with the latest 1/72 detailed models; it’s in the style of the ancient Airfix 109G (basic seat only in cockpit etc.) but with modern fit and panel lines etc.

I brought this specifically to do the Finnish version, this is the story behind the model:

When I was a kid there was a large free flight balsa model of this plane on top of my wardrobe; my dad was a modeller and would have built it in the mid 60s or earlier before I was born. The plane was around 2-3 ft long and hand painted in these markings (the sharkmouth and bat scene, no roundels), whilst it had an IC engine installed I don’t think it had ever been flown as there was no prop installed or cockpit\canopy. I presume it was from a kit of some sort.

I remember being frighted in the dark seeing the mouth on top of the wardrobe! Despite being interested in aircraft from an early age (always piles of model and real plane magazines around in our house) I never realised it was a Finnish version of the 109.

The model knocked around for years and got broken at various points. My dad died 30 years ago so never knew much more about it. I thought it had been thrown out when I left home years ago and had forgotten all about it until a wing turned up in a box of junk that my mum still had; around the same time I realised this kit had the same markings.

This build is therefore some kind of tribute to that old balsa model, I’ve used both the sharkmouth and bat markings but gather its unlikely the real plane had them both at the same time.

The main issue with this Airfix kit is the shell collectors, I am by no means a rivet counter but the ‘saddle’ in this kit is laughable and I used the great article from ArmouredSprue here to reshape them to look a bit better.

I replaced the pilot in the kit (who is in fast jet clobber …) with one from the vastly superior Airfix 109E kit from a few years ago. Only other tweak was to make the round aerial from stretched sprue formed around a cotton bud stick (the balsa model had a wire one, still remember it now).

Paint is all Lifecolor applied by brush with flow improver to keep things smooth-ish, I went for a blue-ish RLM76, Olive Grun and Black. I used Quickshine to gloss before the decals then Lifecolor matt varnish to seal it all in. Bit of MIG cold grey wash to finish with Ez-Line for the main aerial wire.

Work in progress pictures on Twitter here if you are interested

Hope you enjoy.