British Aerospace Hawk T.Mk.1, No.151 (Fighter) Squadron, Royal Air Force Chivenor, Devon, England, July 1983
Built this new re-release of Airfix Hawk T1 kit to reprise a 1980s build I did with a Matchbox kit
This modern kit has the later ejector seat style so I re-used some Aerooclub Martin-Baker Mk10 seats from that original build which add detail, nose weight and replicate the correct early style of seat. The enamel painted metal castings were stripped back with oven cleaner then repainted.
Rest of the model is pretty much as it comes from the box, little bits of filler were needed. All paint is acrylic – Hataka RAF Paint Vol. 2 was used mainly with MIG Ammo varnishes before and after decals. Wheel wells were painted and then masked with the closed undercarriage door parts attached using Maskol.
Dark Sea Grey was applied over a Vallejo primer undercoat; camouflage was then masked using re-scaled printed scan of instruction sheet as a guide to cut Tamiya tape sections.
Beige canopy surround was mixture of painted decal film for edges with centre strip being masked using print of Eduard mask set as a guide to cut more Tamiya tape.
Pitot was replaced with a piece of stretched sprue as cleaning up kit part with 2 large sprue attachment points looked destined for failure.
Finished this build of early 70s kit from Revell, recently reissued as a ‘Ed Roth’ boxing. Inspiration was recent DVD viewing of American Graffiti.
Main paint is custom mix of Tamiya Acrylic White with a bit of blue and green added. Aiming for a 50s pastel look, this was airbrushed on using 0.4 tip in Harder and Steenbeck Ultra. Turquoise is a Games Workshop colour. When body was dry is was smoothed with Micro Mesh 4000, 6000, 8000 and 12000 cloths.
It looks a bit scrappy, opening doors and hood\trunk are good features but alignment leaves a lot to be desired. Chrome trim is by Molotow pen, great addition to the modellers armoury but I made a bit of hash of trying to pick out some of trim so it looks a bit rough