1/72 AIRFIX GNAT – RED ARROWS

March 2017 – Finished this quick build of the recent new tool version of the Red Arrows Gnat

I built the original crude Airfix version back in the 1970s a few times as a kid;modern kit is nicely done but fiddly around the intakes and panel lines are a little deep

Paint is Tamiya Gloss Red acrylic airbrushed on then sealed with Tamiya Gloss after the decals had been applied

Stand is a coffee lid with a piece of acrylic rod (bent over a candle) hot glued in a hole drilled in the top. Some coins were hot glued inside to add weight to the stand.

Bit scrappy in places but had fun building it

Work in progress pictures here: https://twitter.com/search?q=Airfix%20Gnat%20CJHM

1/72 AIRFIX EE LIGHTNING F6

This is the Airfix 1/72 F6 kit from a few years back, I built the F2A when it first came out (http://blog.cjhm.net/172-airfix-lightning-f2a) and have now got around to this version as well.

I don’t remember having problems with the earlier kit but this one fought me all the way; fit around the nose in particular was very poor; you can see pictures of my troubles on the WIP link here: https://twitter.com/search?q=cjhm%20airfix%20lightning

I used the kit markings for XR728 which is preserved at Bruntingthorpe (http://www.lightnings.org.uk/). Dark\Medium Sea Grey are Tamiya with Lifecolor Barley Grey, all airbushed using my Iwata Neo. I glossed with Tamiya X22 before the decals then finished with MiG satin varnish which is very thin and pooled in places on the wings so could have turned out better.

Details are painted with Lifecolor, Citadel and Vallejo, the nose surround is bare metal foil.

1/72 PIONEER 2 SEA FURY

Just finished this one, its an original Pioneer 2 Sea Fury (late 80s release I think) that a kind chap on Britmodeller (trickydicky210) donated. Decals are from an Airfix version that came with it as the original kit ones were pretty curly.

Other than replacing the undercarriage doors with thin plastic versions it is ‘from the box’

Lifecolor Sky and Vallejo Model Air Dark Sea Grey (I know it’s meant to be EDSG) applied by airbrush, Tamiya Gloss Acrylic then decals and MiG satin varnish to finish.

Thanks trickydicky210

Hope you enjoy

1/72 AIRFIX F-86 SABRE

Here is my Airfix F-86F from 5+ years ago

The Sabre was built as per instructions other than omitting the underwing tanks and filling the mounting holes as I wanted a clean look. I left canopy loose so it can be posed open or shut.

Silver is Citadel\Games Workshop Chainmail, the gun panels Boltgun Metal with the panel lines and other details picked out in the same companies Gryphonnia Sepia and Badab Black washes

Details and interior are in Lifecolour, decals went on really well with aid of Mr Mark softner which were then sealed with Lifecolour satin clear

All painting was by brush, the base is a picture frame from local 99p store painted with grey\stone Lifecolour, weathered with GW and marked up into squares with a fine Sharpie marker

Only odd thing was the canopy, I had to paint the lower frame a lot wider than the marked frame line to make enough room for the pilot name decal to fit and match pictures I had

1/72 AIRFIX Bf109-G6

Just finished this one today

It’s the Airfix 1/72 kit from circa 2009 before they hit their stride with the latest 1/72 detailed models; it’s in the style of the ancient Airfix 109G (basic seat only in cockpit etc.) but with modern fit and panel lines etc.

I brought this specifically to do the Finnish version, this is the story behind the model:

When I was a kid there was a large free flight balsa model of this plane on top of my wardrobe; my dad was a modeller and would have built it in the mid 60s or earlier before I was born. The plane was around 2-3 ft long and hand painted in these markings (the sharkmouth and bat scene, no roundels), whilst it had an IC engine installed I don’t think it had ever been flown as there was no prop installed or cockpit\canopy. I presume it was from a kit of some sort.

I remember being frighted in the dark seeing the mouth on top of the wardrobe! Despite being interested in aircraft from an early age (always piles of model and real plane magazines around in our house) I never realised it was a Finnish version of the 109.

The model knocked around for years and got broken at various points. My dad died 30 years ago so never knew much more about it. I thought it had been thrown out when I left home years ago and had forgotten all about it until a wing turned up in a box of junk that my mum still had; around the same time I realised this kit had the same markings.

This build is therefore some kind of tribute to that old balsa model, I’ve used both the sharkmouth and bat markings but gather its unlikely the real plane had them both at the same time.

The main issue with this Airfix kit is the shell collectors, I am by no means a rivet counter but the ‘saddle’ in this kit is laughable and I used the great article from ArmouredSprue here to reshape them to look a bit better.

I replaced the pilot in the kit (who is in fast jet clobber …) with one from the vastly superior Airfix 109E kit from a few years ago. Only other tweak was to make the round aerial from stretched sprue formed around a cotton bud stick (the balsa model had a wire one, still remember it now).

Paint is all Lifecolor applied by brush with flow improver to keep things smooth-ish, I went for a blue-ish RLM76, Olive Grun and Black. I used Quickshine to gloss before the decals then Lifecolor matt varnish to seal it all in. Bit of MIG cold grey wash to finish with Ez-Line for the main aerial wire.

Work in progress pictures on Twitter here if you are interested

Hope you enjoy.